Coronavirus: first recovery and second death
- The health ministry announced the full recovery of the first coronavirus patient who arrived in Lebanon on the Iran flight, as well as a second death from the virus: a 55 year old patient with a weakened immune system. The total cases of coronavirus infections in Lebanon is 66.
Security forces crack down once again on African protesters
- Security forces ambushed the tents of African refugees who have been on hunger strike for days and protesting for months, in front of the UNHCR. The ISF broke up the protest by force, dismantling the tents and throwing them in a garbage truck.
Open-ended strike in Rafic Hariri Hospital
- The contractual employees at Rafic Hariri Government Hospital announced an open-ended strike, as of Thursday morning, to protest the "indifference of management and concerned parties" towards the dangers, difficulties, and tough conditions that employees are facing. Some staff members haven't received their salaries in months.
New measures to combat coronavirus
- Prime Minister Hassan Diab has announced, after a meeting with the emergency committee, that all ravels between Lebanon and Italy, Iran, South Korea, and China have been put on hold. Lebanese citizens residing in other countries where the virus is spreading can return within 4 days, before travel to and from these countries gets interrupted as well. Diab announced measures to halt all gatherings in public and private spaces, adding that every governorate now has a hospital equipped to receive COVID-19 patients.
Protests in Beirut, Zahle, and Tripoli
- Protesters gathered in front of the Justice Palace in Beirut to demand independent judicial formations from the Higher Judiciary Council. In Zahle, a protest in front of Fransabank denounced withholding money from the revolution's "October 17 Newspaper". Protesters also handed out leaflets explaining the drawbacks of working with the International Monetary Fund. In Tripoli, demonstrators marched in protest along Banks' Street.
REPOSTED FROM @Megaphonenews