As foreign debts plummet, Lebanon to ask IMF for “technical assistance”
- A government source informed Reuters that Lebanon will request technical help from the International Monetary Fund to put together an extensive economic and financial plan. As foreign debts sink to an all—time low, Lebanon win be seeking help from the IMF on whether to pay its $12 billion Eurobond or restructure its public debt.
- The Association of Banks (AoB) in Lebanon stated today that Lebanon should pay its Eurobonds by March to “protect depositors, preserve Lebanon’s position in international financial markets and preserve its relations with correspondent banks.” This, the AoB stated, is necessary because restructuring debt would need both time and assistance from international institutions.
On day 119, six arrested in Sidon
- The Lawyers’ Committee for the Defense of Protesters reported that the Military Intelligence arrested six activists in Sidon. Their charges remain unclear.
- In Beirut, six of the seven protesters who were arrested and taken to the Emile Helou Police Station yesterday were released before midnight. Activist Mohammad Bzeih, however, was not released until earlier this evening, following a prolonged detention for reasons which also remain ambiguous. He was met with a crowd of protesters cheering outside the station.
Akkar’s relentless protesters strip down Hariri posters
- Under the slogan of “We No Longer Want Pictures in Akkar", protesters tore down posters of Saad Hariri across the district. They also rewrote on billboards that they are done with such posters, and that they demanded accountability.
Diab visits Grand Mufti
- Diab visited Dar el—Fatwa for his first official meeting with Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdel Latif Derian one day after his government won a vote of confidence from parliament.
- Diab, who stated that his meeting with the mufti was “normal,” also added: “The Mufti is playing a unifying role that preserves the position of Dar al—Fatwa and he is a dear friend and brother.”
REPOSTED FROM @Megaphonenews